শুক্রবার, ১ জুন, ২০১২

Big Sean Plans To Take His Career 'Past' Jay-Z, Kanye

'If I don't take it past where they took it, then what the hell am I doin'?' MC tells MTV News of his quest for rap's #1 spot.
By Rob Markman


Big Sean
Photo: MTV News

Now that Big Sean is finally famous, the Detroit MC has his eyes set on hip-hop immortality. Kanye West once told the 24-year old spitter he was going to be the best rapper of all-time — he couldn't get a bigger endorsement.

"He actually told me that I was going to be the best. But I took that as the potential, because he speaks with so much passion," Big Sean told MTV News in New York last week. "What he meant was, I'm his protégé, he took me under his wing. I'm in the studio hanging with him and Jay-Z, I'm in the studio with Nas, I'm in the studio with everybody, and it's like, if I don't take it past where they took it, then what the hell am I doin'?"

Last year, B.I.G. dropped his debut album, Finally Famous, released a few high-powered singles and landed on MTV News' Hottest MCs in the Game list. Recently, Sean has been cutting his teeth alongside some pretty capable MCs. On G.O.O.D. Music's "Mercy" single, he spits alongside Pusha T, Kanye and 2 Chainz, on "Slight Work," he goes toe-to-toe with Wale, and on Meek Mill's "Burn," Sean volleyed bars back and forth with the MMG standout.

On Friday (June 1), Lil Wayne released "My Homies Still," the first single from his upcoming I Am Not a Human Being II album, and it features none other than Big Sean Don. When rhyming in tandem with Tune, the G.O.O.D. Music MC juggles rapid-fire bars and also inspires Weezy to repeatedly chant "Go stupid, go stupid," just as Sean did on his hit single "Dance (A$$)."

Whether the "My Last" lyricist will fulfill Yeezy's big-time rap prophecy remains to be seen, but he has been keeping some great company. Mix that with his own natural ability, and the future looks bright for Big Sean. He likens his rhyme innovation to the late Steve Jobs.

"It's like natural progression, it's like evolution," he said. "If Steve Jobs would've made the same cell phone, the big-ass, dumbass phone that we be all talkin' on instead of the iPhone, then it wasn't no point for him to be who he was."

It sounds like a tall order, but during Big Daddy Kane's early 1990s reign, no one predicted that then-rookies Jay-Z and the Notorious B.I.G. would be mentioned among rap's greats either. At this juncture in his career, Big Sean's hunger remains his biggest asset. "I'm 24 years old, and I'm just finding myself as an artist now," he explained. "I be foolin' on the track. You hear me coming up with my own ad libs, my own lingo, my own words, but it's not just because I'm funny and I'm a fool; it's because I'm tryna push the envelope of hip-hop.

"I'm tryna create something new," he continued. "That's when the greatest things always happen: when you try to create something new."

What's your favorite Big Sean song? Tell us in the comments!

Related Artists

sweet caroline lottery winning numbers pro bowl roster quirky chrissy teigen chia seeds embers

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন